Thursday, March 28, 2024

I'm Probably Going to Hell for This!

 


I'm Probably Going to Hell for This!


What is it we all seek? Some sort of reassurance that there is an afterlife. What is it we rely on for that guidance to get us there? Religion. I realize I’m probably going to piss a few people off with this book, but what the hell, if there is a purgatory, I’m sure I’ll pay for it there. You see this book came about because of unanswered questions. Questions I’ve pondered for my 62 years on this earth (minus my time in diapers where thinking was completely optional). Religion in many ways is a guide to obtain answers, but it was never enough for me.

I was raised Catholic. You can all bless me now. Surviving a Catholic upbringing is a lot like surviving a repetitive hurricane. Just when you think you’ve got enough protection from the danger someone (Usually my Mother) throws a curve ball of Catholic guilt at you and you’re stuck trying to remember if it is a sin or not, whether it requires a confession, and the amount of shame you should feel. It’s like dodging the hurricane all over again. Depression runs a rough shot in the Catholic religion and trust me, I know why. Happiness is frowned upon. I have a hard time thinking that God thinks that’s the way it should be.

Although I am by no means an expert on religion. I find it to be a hindrance in my life. I do know that a lot of people get a lot out of the visit to the church on Sunday and I think that’s great. By no means do I think that everyone should follow my lead, I just want people to know that being a religious truant is not the end of the world. I have always felt that God watches over us. I also think that he (or She, oh that’s going to piss off some people) wants us to be happy. I can’t see a God that punishes people for eating a beef jerky on a Friday during lent and yet forgiving a murderer because he confesses his sin on his deathbed. Sorry, it just doesn’t work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

126 Steps to Becoming a Successful Entrepreneur

  126 Steps to Becoming a Successful Entrepreneur  The Entrepreneurship Fad and the Dark Side of Going Solo The US Census Bureau reported  3...